- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo ISD
PSJA ISD partners with UTRGV to offer Master’s Program for Educators
PHARR – Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District (PSJA ISD) has partnered with the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) to offer the Deepen the Bench of Ready Leaders Masters in Educational Leadership Program this fall.
The Deepen the Bench of Ready Leaders Masters in Educational Leadership Program is designed to develop culturally responsive educational leaders to serve a diverse student population, especially English language learners.
As part of these efforts, the PSJA ISD School Board recently approved to support 20 participating teachers by providing $1,000 for semester tuition with completion of a minimum grade of "B" in all classes and up to $800 for program required textbooks.
"We appreciate our school board for supporting continuing education opportunities for our teachers and staff," said PSJA ISD Superintendent Dr. Jorge L. Arredondo. "As well as our UTRGV partners for assisting us in reaching our vision of multi-generational prosperity for our community."
Participants will earn 30 credit hours, complete a portfolio, and enroll in a minimum of two classes per semester over a period of six semesters beginning Fall 2022. Classes will be led by UTRGV professors at PSJA ISD facilities.
“Strong school leadership is vital for student learning,” said PSJA Assistant Superintendent for Human Capital Development Dr. Rebeca Garza. “School leaders create the environment and structure that impact teachers’ working conditions and ability to teach students successfully. We are grateful for this opportunity to continue to enhance our leadership support pipeline at PSJA ISD.”
Program admittance requirements:
- Interested participants must attend a program information session (Coming August 2022)
- Applicant must meet all university master program admission requirements
- Teaching with PSJA ISD a minimum of 4+ years
- Evaluation rating of proficient or better
- Commits to teaching with PSJA ISD a minimum of 3 years
- Teacher resigning from PSJA ISD before the 3 yr minimum agrees to payback pro-rated cost
- Letter of recommendation from current supervisor
- Agrees to complete the master’s program within the UTRGV program time frame
- Bilingual/ESL/Dual Language certified and/or first-generation generation college graduate
Further details for interested staff members will be shared at a later date.