Phone: (956) 354-2038
Fax: (956) 354-3007
Address: 903 N. Flag Str., Pharr, 78577
Application Forms are now available!
Research Application Submission Windows will be the following:
Fall - September 15th-30th
Spring - February 1st-15th
Applications will only be accepted between dates listed above.
an estimated three-week response from the close date each semester.
Procedures for Conducting Research
The Grant Management Department (GMD) has established procedures that are designed to:
- govern and orchestrate research conducted in Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District
- protect the confidentiality and rights of staff, students, parents and district
- ensure that the proposed research benefits all stakeholders of Pharr-San Juan-Alamo School District
- adheres to legal (i.e., FERPA, NCLB, 504) and ethical guidelines.
The information that follows contains a list of procedures describing the process for which obtaining permission to conduct research in PSJA ISD must be followed. Failure to adhere to the process completely will result in a request being denied.
The following applies to anyone who desires to conduct research in the Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District. Both employees and non-employees of the school system are required to go through the application, screening process and receive formal approval before beginning a research study. Failure to do so is considered a violation of district policy and administrative procedures. Therefore, appropriate steps will be taken when a violation occurs.
- Any study that involves data collection through observations, interviews, surveys/questionnaires, tests, or other methods involving human subject participants (students, their parents, or staff in the PSJA ISD System) is defined as “research” and is subject to the procedures outlined below.
Requirements for Conducting Research
Completed research application including all required forms, attachments, and copies. [NOTE: Incomplete application packets will be returned to the applicant without review.]
- Online Research Request Application Submission Page
- Graduate Student or External Research Application Form (Choose one application only)
- Attachment A: Research Application Pre-Approval Proposal Form
- Attachment B: Research Commitment Letter
- Attachment C: Research Application Confidentiality Agreement Form
- Background Check (for non-PSJA Employees)
- Approval from PSJA ISD Research Review Committee (RRC) after the application has been received and reviewed.
Approval to conduct a research study is valid for one calendar year subsequent to the RRC approval date. A new research application must be submitted if the research study has not been completed by the established deadline.
The researcher must strictly adhere to the methodology and procedures specified in the approved application. Any change(s) to RRC-approved research must be submitted and approved by the RRC. Changes cannot be implemented until written approval is granted.
Research Application Pre-Approval Proposal Form
All individuals conducting research in a PSJA ISD School must submit a “Research Application Pre-Approval Proposal Form” (Attachment A) signed and dated by the site administrator(s) at each of the proposed school(s). This signed form indicates that the administrator(s) has been fully informed regarding the research activities and is volunteering the school to participate* in the study only if formal approval is granted by the PSJA ISD Research Review Committee. * Participation in an independent research study is voluntary and cannot be mandated. You may have more than one copy of this form with the required signatures needed. **See form for more details.
Texas Department of Public Safety Background Check
All non-PSJA ISD researchers must provide PSJA ISD with a criminal history check with their Research Request Application. Only criminal history checks conducted within the last 12 months will be accepted. *Violation of these requirements may result in withdrawal of the research approval and ban of both the researcher and the sponsoring organization/employer from conducting future research activities in PSJA ISD. You may submit your background check form to the PSJA Human Resources Department prior to the opening of the application submission window for background clearance. However, you will not be able to conduct any research until you receive formal approval from the Research Review Committee.
Use this link to upload and submit your application, supporting documents and cleared/approved background check.